What is a fiancé visa?

A fiancé visa allows a British citizen or a person settled in the UK with indefinite leave to remain bring their non-EEA fiancé / Fiancée to join them in the UK with the intention of getting married within the six months period of the visa. In this case, the intending spouse will have to apply and obtain fiancé / Fiancée visa (entry clearance) before entering the UK.

If you are returning to the UK to settle, your partner can apply for a UK fiancé visa to join you at the same time.

Eligibility for UK fiancé Visa

You are eligible to apply for a fiancé visa if you satisfy the following criteria:

  • You and your fiancé must both be over 18 years old
  • You must have met each other
  • You must plan to live together permanently after your marriage
  • You intend to marry your fiancé within the six-month duration of the visa
  • There will be adequate accommodation for you and any dependants, and that you will be able to maintain yourselves and any dependents without the support of public funds
  • Any of your or your fiancés previous relationships (married or unmarried) must have ended
  • Your fiancé earns more than £18,600 per year or has enough savings to be able to support you without claiming public funds. If you have dependent children, the minimum financial requirement is higher
  • You must satisfy the English language requirements. There are only very limited number of approved language tests and test providers

Once you have married in the UK?

Once you have lawfully married in the UK, we will advise you on spouse application;

You are eligible to apply for leave to remain as a souse within six months of your fiancé visa.

On successful application, you will be given extension of stay for 30 months and then extension of another 30 months.

Once you have completed five years of continuous lawful residence in the UK and you are still in relationship with your British spouse or civil partner, you will be eligible to apply for settlement also known as Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.

You can apply for naturalisation (Nationality) after 12 months of indefinite leave to remain.

Children of the relationship who are under 18 years old are allowed entry to the UK as dependants, and can make their application at the same time as the applicant fiancé.

Once a fiancé visa is changed to a marriage visa you are eligible to work and hold the same rights as your spouse.

How can we help you?

Joyya Law Associates can provide you with advice on the documents you and your sponsor must include in your visa application prepare the online form for you and draft representations in support of your fiancé visa application, if needed.

Once you have lawfully married in the UK, we will advise you the documents you and your sponsor spouse must include in your applications for leave to remain as a spouse, prepare the application and draft representations in support of your application, if needed.

We understand that immigration law is not as straightforward as it is thought to be, so we are here to work with you and hopefully to increase the chances of success of your application.

Joyya Law Associates’ Immigration Solicitors are here to give you friendly, complete and realistic advice on Standard Visitor Visa Applications.

If you would like to know more about any of these areas of law, simply call us on 0161 835 1607 or complete our online enquiry form.