Spouse / Civil Partner Visa

We know the stress you are having while living apart from your loved ones. Bringing them to the UK could be even more stressful financial burden because complex immigration Rules. Our immigration Solicitors can assist you to advise you as to the right application, eligibility, required documents, procedure, timescales, associated costs and most important the 'prospects of success'.

What is a marriage visa?

If you are the husband, wife or civil partner of a British citizen or a person with UK settled status, i.e. someone living settled in the UK with Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK and would like to come to the UK or apply for further leave to remain in this category while you and your spouse / civil partner are in the UK, you must then apply for a Spouse visa.


You are eligible to apply for a marriage visa or leave to remain in the UK if you satisfy the following criteria:

  • You and your spouse must be 18 years old or over
  • You must be legally married and have met each other
  • You must plan to live together permanently
  • Your spouse is either present and settled in the United Kingdom, or will arrive with you to be admitted for settlement
  • Any of your or your spouse previous relationships (married or unmarried) must have ended before you are married
  • There will be adequate accommodation for you and any dependants, and that you will be able to maintain yourselves and any dependents without the support of UK public funds
  • Your spouse earns more than £18,600 per year or has enough savings to be able to support you without claiming public funds. If you have dependent children, the minimum financial requirement is higher
  • You must satisfy the English language requirements. There are only very limited number of approved language tests and test providers

Settlement and Nationality as a Spouse

If you already hold a UK fiancé visa, work visa, or student visa valid for more than six months, you may be eligible to switch to a marriage visa.

Children of the marriage who are under 18 years old are allowed entry to the UK as dependants, and can make their application at the same time as the applicant spouse.

If you are applying for a marriage visa from outside the UK, you are eligible for an initial visa period of 27 months. If you are already in the UK on a visa, you will be given extension of stay for 30 months and then apply for extension of another 30 months.

If you have completed five years continuous lawful residence in the UK in this category and you are still in relationship with your British spouse or civil partner, you will be eligible to apply for settlement also known as Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.

You can apply for naturalisation (Nationality) after 12 months of indefinite leave to remain.

Children of the marriage who are under 18 years old are allowed entry to the UK as dependants, and can make their application at the same time as the applicant spouse.

Your children born within or outside the UK from a marriage with a British citizen are automatic British citizen.

How can we help you?

oyya Law Associates can provide you with advice on the documents you and your sponsor spouse must include with your application, prepare the online or paper application form for you and draft representations in support of your application, if needed.

We understand that immigration law is not as straightforward as it is thought to be, so we are here to work with you and hopefully to increase the chances of success of your application.

Joyya Law Associates’ Immigration Solicitors are here to give you friendly, complete and realistic advice on your Spouse Application.

If you would like to know more about any of these areas of law, simply call us on 0161 835 1607 or complete our online enquiry form.