Unmarried Partners

We know the stress you are having while living apart from your loved ones. Bringing them to the UK or sorting out their immigration status could be even more stressful because of complex immigration Rules. Our immigration Solicitors can assist you to advise you as to the right application, eligibility, required documents, procedure, timescales, associated costs and most important the 'prospects of success'.

What is an unmarried partner visa?

If you are a non-European or British national and are in a genuine, durable and long term relationship akin to marriage with a British citizen or a person with a settled status in the UK, then you can apply for visa or leave to remain in this category.


You are eligible to apply for an unmarried partner visa or leave to remain in the UK if you and your partner satisfy the following criteria:

  • You and your partner must be 18 years old or over
  • You must be living together for at least 2 years as husband and wife
  • You must plan to live together permanently
  • Any previous marriage or civil partnership that either of you was in has permanently broken down and dissolved
  • Your partner is either present and settled in the United Kingdom, or will arrive with you to be admitted for settlement
  • There will be adequate accommodation for you and any dependants, and that you will be able to maintain yourselves and any dependents without the support of UK public funds
  • Your settled partner earns more than £18,600 per year or has enough savings to be able to support you without claiming public funds. If you have dependent children, the minimum financial requirement is higher
  • You must satisfy the English language requirements

Settlement and Nationality

If you have completed five years continuous lawful residence in the UK in this category and you are still in relationship with your British spouse or civil partner, you will be eligible to apply for settlement also known as Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.

You can apply for naturalisation (Nationality) after 12 months of indefinite leave to remain.

Children of the marriage who are under 18 years old are allowed entry to the UK as dependants, and can make their application at the same time as the applicant.

Your children born within or outside the UK from a marriage with a British citizen are automatic British citizen.

How can we help you?

Joyya Law Associates can provide you with advice on the documents you and your sponsor must include with your application, prepare the online or paper application form for you and draft representations in support of your application, if needed.

We understand that immigration law is not as straightforward as it is thought to be, so we are here to work with you and hopefully to increase the chances of success of your application.

Joyya Law Associates’ Immigration Solicitors are here to give you friendly, complete and realistic advice on your Application.

If you would like to know more about any of these areas of law, simply call us on 0161 835 1607 or complete our online enquiry form.