Visiting the UK

If you are a non EEA national and wish to visit the UK for a short term, you need to obtain a visit visa ‘entry clearance’ before travelling to the UK. There are different visitor visa categories and standard visit visas applications.

Standard Visitor Visas

  • Family Visitor Visa – to see your family members settled and present in the UK
  • Marriage Visitor Visa
  • General / Tourist visa
  • Transit Visa
  • Child Visitor Visa
  • Student Visitor Visa
  • Business Visitors – for conference, meeting or training, etc.
  • Doctors and Dentists – coming for PLAB test, clinical attachment and observer post test, etc.
  • Sports Visitor Visa
  • Entertainer Visitor Visa – for an artist, entertainer or musician and coming to the UK to perform
  • Prospective Entrepreneur Visa
  • Private Medical Treatment Visitor Visa
  • Approved Destination Status (ADS) Visa

We recommend to check the the Visitor Rules relevant to your application with Home Office at the time of application or contact us for assessment and to find the full list of activities you can do with a Standard Visitor visa.

Restrictions for Visitors

When you are in the UK on a standard visitor visa, you cannot:

  • do paid or unpaid work and engage in business
  • live in the UK for more than six months in one year through frequent visits
  • live in the UK beyond your visa which normally issued for six months
  • get public funds
  • marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership

Can I extend my visit visa?

Usually a visit visa is not extended, however, in exceptional circumstances you can request for extension of your visit. The reasons for extension may vary case to case.

Long-term visit visas

If you can prove you need to visit the UK regularly over a longer period, you can apply for a visa that lasts 1, 2, 5 or 10 years. There’s an extra fee to pay, which depends on the length of the visa. You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit.

When applying from abroad, it is important that you include the correct documentation to increase your chances of success.

How can we help you?

  • foundation degrees
  • honorary degrees
  • qualifications awarded in the UK by overseas awarding bodies
  • qualifications undertaken at overseas campuses of UK institutions
  • professional and vocational qualifications
  • postgraduate certificates or diplomas

You don’t have to provide evidence that you have sufficient savings to support yourself if you have an endorsement from UKTI stating you’ve been awarded funding to cover your maintenance.

Contact UK NARIC to find out if you can use your qualification for this visa.

Read the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) guidance when you apply for a visa.

If you would like to know more about any of these areas of law, simply call us on 0161 835 1607 or complete our online enquiry form.