What is a Tier 2 (General) visa?

The Tier 2 (General) category is for foreign nationals who have been offered a skilled job to fill a gap in the workforce that cannot be filled by a settled worker.

Tier 2 (General) visa can lead to Indefinite Leave to Remain, applicants may also bring their family dependents – spouses, partners, dependent children to the UK at the same time as the main Tier 2 applicant or they can join at later stage.

Eligibility for a Tier 2 Visa

You must have and show all of the following to be eligible for a Tier 2 (General) visa:

  • a confirmed offer of employment from a licensed UK employer (sponsor)
  • a valid certificate of sponsorship
  • You must score 70 points under the points based system
  • Your suitability for the role
  • An ‘appropriate’ salary for the role
  • The required level of English – usually at least CEFR level B1 or an academic qualification that was taught in English and is recognised by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK Bachelor’s degree
  • The required savings for you and any dependants if your fully approved (A’ rated) sponsor is not certifying maintenance

How long you can stay?

You can come to the UK with a Tier 2 (General) visa for a maximum of 5 years and 14 days, or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 1 month, whichever is shorter.

Extend your visa

  • You and your dependents may be able to apply to extend your stay in the UK under a Tier 2 (General) visa
  • You should apply before your current visa expires
  • You can apply to extend your visa for up to another 5 years, as long as your total stay is not more than 6 years
  • You can apply to change (‘switch’) from another visa to a Tier 2 (General) visa while you are in the UK in certain categories (subject to eligibility test)


If you have completed your five years continuous residence in the UK in this category, you are still required by your employer and you have been paid salary according to the SOC of the Home Office and meet ALL eligibility requirements , you may be eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK.

NOTE: The Rules for Settlement entitlement and eligibility are frequently changed, if you are coming the UK with settlement intentions, you are strongly recommended to check the current immigration Rules.

How can we help you?

Joyya Law Associates can provide you with advice on the documents you and your family dependents must include in indefinite leave to remain applications, prepare the application form for you and draft representations in support of your application, if needed.

We understand that immigration law is not as straightforward as it is thought to be, so we are here to work with you and hopefully to increase the chances of success of your indefinite leave to remain application.

Joyya Law Associates’ Immigration Solicitors are here to give you friendly, complete and realistic advice on Tier 2 (General) visa and extension applications.

If you would like to know more about any of these areas of law, simply call us on 0161 835 1607 or complete our online enquiry form.